Brickell City Centre, a collaboration with Swire Properties Inc., is a massive mixed-use project in the heart of Miami. It has been integrally woven with a lush native and adaptive tropical landscape that sets a new standard for urban lifestyle landscapes. Landscape Architect, ArquitectonicaGEO, collaborated closely with the architects of Arquitectonica to design an extraordinary multi-level environment.
Virtually all horizontal surfaces within the 9-acre area and extending over more than three city blocks are enrobed in a lively plant palette, sophisticated hardscapes, or the clear blue waters of stylish pools. From streetscapes and internal retail concourses, to residential and hotel amenity decks, open air restaurants and 40th floor sky lounge, and planted bridges that span the blocks, the landscape is designed to enhance the spare elegance of 5.4 million square feet of office, residential, hotel, retail and entertainment space. The elevated landscapes create a new kind of “central park”, and firmly establish a center of gravity for Miami’s urban renaissance.
Nearly 1 acre of the amenity decks were crafted to highlight South Florida’s endangered native landscapes, while providing abundant recreational opportunities for residents and visitors, and critical habitat support for regional wildlife. The various landscape settings are intended to be enjoyed from a multitude of intimate spaces within, as well as viewed like a rich tapestry from the Centre’s towers above and from other towers nearby.
The landscape is intended to work in conjunction with a 150,000-square foot CLIMATE RIBBONTM, an elevated ribbon of steel, fabric and glass that protects visitors from inclement weather, captures sea breezes to regulate air flow and temperature, and funnels an estimated 5 million gallons of rain water annually to cisterns. Using well-suited and well-placed plant material and efficient irrigation, 100% of irrigation needs are intended to be served by the cisterns. The multi-faceted irrigation system includes drip, sub-surface and high efficiency components controlled by solar sync rain sensors.
* Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects (FLASLA) | Frederic B. Stresau Award
* Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects (FLASLA) | Environmental Sustainability Honor
* Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects (FLASLA) | Award of Excellence
* AIA Miami | Merit Award of Excellence for Urban Design
* AIA Miami Hospitality Design Awards | (EAST Hotel) Best Overall Hotel (Merit Award of Excellence)
* AIA Miami Hospitality Design Awards | (EAST Hotel) The People's Choice Award
* AIA Miami Hospitality Design Awards | (Sugar Miami) Best Nightclub, Bar & Lounge (Honorable Mention)
* Urban Land Institute (ULI) | Project of the Year
* The Architects Newspaper - Best of Design Awards | Honorable Mention 2017 Mixed-Use
* South Florida Business Journal Structures Award | Best Mixed-Use Project